Micro:BitAdvent Calendar Day 02 - Make an LED blink in RGB!

Need help for the Micro:Bit Advent Calendar Day 2 Guide ( Make an RGB LED Blink with micro:bit )? Just post on this thread and our highly trained team of Micro:Bit ninjas will be able to help you in no time!

– Cherie

Hi, we are loving these projects.

We’ve got it to work ok, but are curious as to why day 2 uses the ground on the left hand side, while day 1 used one of the ground pins on the right hand side. What is the difference between the three different ground pins?

On a similar topic, what is the different between the two 5v pins, and between the two 3.3v pins?

Three ground pins on the microbit should all be equivalent, though I haven’t looked at the circuit diagram. Whichever ground pin in most convenient is ok to use.

The 5v pin supplies five volts, too much for any microbit inputs but handy to have if you have something that you want to connect that requires five volts.

3.3v is the 3.3 volt power supply, which is the voltage that the microbit inputs and outputs operate at.

1 Like

The 5v pin supplies five volts, too much for any microbit inputs but handy to have if you have something that you want to connect that requires five volts.

I have not checked the schematics, however I’m pretty sure the breakout’s 5V pin is connected directly to microUSB port (on the breakout), and I wouldn’t imagine it passing through the micro:bit.

As @sburford says, " handy to have if you have something that you want to connect that requires five volts". I.e. the majority of 5V Arduino modules.

Cheers,

Marcus

1 Like

Hi - I’m trying to restart these tutorials with my son (previously done with my daughter to great excitement), and the link to this tutorial appears to be broken. Can this be updated please?

Thanks,

Actually, it looks like most of the tutorial links are broken except for Day 01.

Hi nickread,

Thanks for the heads up, we have indeed moved our learn section. You can find the updated link here: https://www.littlebird.com.au/a/how-to/76/make-an-rgb-led-blink-with-micro-bit

The other tutorial links can be found on our Micro:bit Learn section.

Cheers,
Cherie