New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hey,

My Name is Erik and I am rediscovering my Computer Science background buy building an 8-bit computer. I am following the process of teaching myself each component as I go, and then buying the IC to use in further components.

So far I have built a TTL NAND gate out of transistors, a Flip Flop out of NAND Gates, and a counter out of flip flops.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Joy. Iā€™m into arduino, e-textiles, sound stuff, and working to create simple, solderless projects.

I run Irresistible Learning, where we work with schools, libraries and community groups to create engaging, fun, learning experiences using electronics and coding. I run projfessional development workshops for teachers, and hands-on workshops for students.

I also run ElectroCraft, a social learning meetup for women who make electronic projects.

At the moment Iā€™m working on making cheap, solderless projects with children and young people. Weā€™re doing cardboard speakers, simple contact mics, and basic synths.

Looking forward to being in touch with other Makers and Educators.

Joy

3 Likes

Hi All

People call me Neil since my full names are hard for Aussies to pronounce(its a Germanic name dating back 400 years). I have been programming since the age 6 which was on the Commodore Vic 20. These days I mainly do consulting on integration work and SOA architectures, essentially I have been coding every day for the last 34 years.

At home I work on various projects. Basically I love working with lasers and creating light shows for my kids so a lot of time is generally spent on that. I am nearing the end of a new build and will post some pics of the new Spirograph in action soon. If you do read about a man getting arrested in Hornsby NSW for doing unauthorized laser shows it means my build was successful. Originally from Africa where I spent most of my life but I have lived in Ecuador, Mauritius, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Sydney. I speak 4 languages at the moment and about to attempt the fifth one.Another one of my passions is creating electronic music thus I spend way too much money on synthesizers.

Otherwise I am very active in development of MQTT software for the ESP-8266. Since I do a lot of work with integrating rather large IT systems with each other I am working with using data generated by IOT devices in the corporate worldā€¦ I was thinking remote shock collars for those lazy co-workers. Though I love Arduinoā€™s I tend to buy the AMTEL MCU and make my own boards as I find the shields and expansions introducing to many pin hogging problems. My neighbor reported me to the cops as they suspected I was running a ICE factory, me working with strange chemicals in the weekends, and I had the hardest time telling the over eager officers that it was an IC not ICE facility.

Neil

2 Likes

Hi everybody,

Iā€™m a mid thirties guy who likes to tinker with electronic stuff when work or sport doesnā€™t interfere. I also fix friends technological issues, usually computers on a regular basis.

Completed electronic projects include:

• My own RFID front door lock using a rasp pi

Thatā€™s it. I seem to have trouble finishing a project once I know I can do itā€¦

Also, how the hell did my Google image get on this account? :smile:

1 Like

Hi, my name is Mike and I live in Tasmania. Iā€™ve built several projects using components from LBE, including Suki shown below. Sheā€™s a modern version of a Japanese karakuri tea-serving doll. To serve tea to a guest, you point her in the direction of the guest and place a tea cup on her tray. She trundles off towards the guest and stops when she reaches them. She introduces herself and asks if the guest would like a cup of tea. The guest takes the cup and drinks the tea; when they replace the cup Suki thanks them in Japanese, turns around and goes back to where she started.

Suki runs on a motorised robot base and is controlled by an Arduino. She uses an ultrasonic ranger to detect the guest, a magnetometer for navigation and a speech synthesiser to speak in English and Japanese. The original karakuri dolls were much simpler, operating entirely by clockwork!

Iā€™ve also built an automatic watering system for our garden, using a computer program which calculates when each part of our garden needs watering based on rainfall and other information from a weather station. When part of the garden needs watering the program sends a control via XBee radios to a remote station in the garden, where an Arduino turns solenoid valves on and off as needed. The remote stations also measure soil moisture and temperature, battery voltage and solar charge current and send this information back to the master station for display.

2 Likes

Hey there, Iā€™m David from Mid North Coast of NSW. Iā€™m getting to my ā€˜twilightā€™ years and my background is emergency medicine. I am totally self taught in electronics and programming. Due to my semi isolated location with regard to fellow electronics/programming enthusiasts, I find it difficult solving ā€˜lack of knowledgeā€™ problems. So I have joined all you boffins with the hope that I will be able to help solve those problems that to you guys is 'common knowledge '. So forgive me if I ask silly questions.
At present Iā€™m tinkering with an Aquaponics controller based around Arduino.

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Klaus. Iā€™ve just been playing around with Arduinos LEDs and sensors. No big projects just having fun with the embedded systems.

1 Like

Hi,

I am just introducing myself because I came across little bird electronics while looking for parts for the Bluetooth Planck mechanical keyboard I am making, still waiting on parts from all around the world to arrive. Then comes the hard part building and programming the lot to work together.

Cheers, Houngan

1 Like

Hi all.
My name is Sean. I live in Bairnsdale Victoria. I have been playing with arduino for a couple of years. I have many projects on the go (all in various forms of completion). I have remote controlled the base of an electric wheelchair for use as a remote controlled lawn mower (to be autonomous eventually), lawn mower part to be created and attached. My last project was data logging temperature sensors for use in the kitchen at work to record fridge and freezer temperatures. I am currently working with setting up a raspberryPi as a LAMP (web) server. My next project is to hack the christmas lights that we put on the house every year and control them with something faster than an Arduino (probably a Particle Photon). I have been bugging Marcus to do workshops in Melbourne (preferably East Gippsland). If anyone else wants a workshop in say Traralgon then we might force his arm by numbers :smile:.
I will have to start documenting and posting projects from now on.

1 Like

I read this on hackaday.com! Awesome work.

1 Like

Hello, my name is Poppi.

Iā€™m a PhD student in Creative Arts (music) at the University of Wollongong. I enjoy crafting and am fascinated by the world of wearables. Iā€™d like to learn more about electronics so that I might merge these interests. My current project utilises conductive thread as a touch sensor. :rainbow:

Hi, Iā€™m Guy - An electrician who does maintenance at Redeemer Baptist School.

I love all smart controlled hardware and software. I install Clipsalā€™s C-Bus and have applied to be a registered Clipsal C-Bus Accredited Installer. For those who donā€™t know, C-Bus is a smart home system install by an electrician to control your home/office lighting and is capable for full integration to your security system, air-conditioning, audio system, infra-red control and anything you can think of (providing you have an unlimited budget ;-)).

Therefore I love Arduino and will happily accept any sensor-action challenge. However with 2 young children free time at home is rare and maker time is usually less. So, there are many half-finished projects surrounding my desk.

My most current project is a Freezer Alarm.
At the school there are many large freezers that hold food for functions. In the event of power failure (usually due too stupidity when someone knocks the power cord out) or the door being left open, spoiled food needs throwing out and can cost thousands to replace. I wanted to create a project where an arduino will measure the temperature and check that power is present and send a text message when the freezer is below temp or out of power.
The biggest hurdle of this project is having wireless communication between 6 freezers or so and one GPRS arduino for text communication and having a simple method of ā€˜pairingā€™ and ā€˜un-pairingā€™ the freezers when they are moved to another location or when they are deliberately being defrosted.

If anyone has any suggestion that might re-ignite my passion with this project, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Guy

1 Like

@Guy

Iā€™ts not quite out yet but the Particle Electron would be a good match for your Freezer Project.

You should play around with the MicroView. Itā€™d be pretty perfect for what you are doing. Iā€™m on a plane so canā€™t send you the link, search it on little bird.

Now for an Intro.

Iā€™m Justin. Iā€™m from inner west Sydney. Iā€™ve been making for a long time. Like most Iā€™ve got far more plans and partly complete projects than finished, but still done some cool projects over the years.

Current interests are IoT, SmartHome and Smart Lighting. Also doing some maker style things at work making lights with COB LED Filaments.

Also bit of a fan of the Particle platform.

1 Like

Soon, soon! Once I get back from OS :slight_smile:

@Guy, I suggest sending message when the freezer is above temperature not below.

If only sending when below it means you need human logic on the receiving end to differentiate between loss of communications and an actual failure. If instead you make the normal situation send a message; powered and below set point, it is easier to handle.

GPRS is doable, but internet is quicker and easier these days, and just as resilient. (i.e. GPRS isnā€™t intended to be resilient). If the site has a wireless network, and the IT guys are sufficiently welcoming, then use it, or add your own wireless router just for the job.

I suggest an Adafruit Huzzah for each freezer which wakes up every minute to send temperature readings of inside cabinet and outside heat exchanger.

Power the device from within the appliance by adding a power supply module in a cavity.

Handle the infrequent deliberate defrosting by just ignoring it. Adding that into a monitoring system makes the system way more complicated and needs extra training for the people using the freezers. A much harder task.

If you need a display at each freezer, a MicroView could be good.

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Tim. I spend most of my time as a software engineer, and occasionally manage to make something, like this book scanner from a few years ago. Thereā€™s a plan to eventually build a network of sensors to put around our farm, some combination of wind, rain, light, soil, some cameras, but itā€™s still early days on that project.

1 Like

Thanks Justin

I love the idea of the Particle. Never heard of it before. Will investigate

Thanks
Guy

Hi quozi,

I didnā€™t explain thoroughly. My intention was to send a daily text with current temp and mains status to my mobile for a comms check and if any temp goes above a set threshold or power fail it will send a text to me and a few other people in charge of catering. (and keep sending until problem fixed)
The original reason for text is to keep data subscription cost down (for the freezers) and to ensure that the message is received if my data is switched off or in poor 4G area. (also not all of the caterers have smart phones :frowning: )

I love, love, love the Huzzah. What an amazing product. I am sure it will nearly replace my use of multiple arduinos in any project.

I like the thought of micro view. I will need to check how the cost will add up before adding to every freezer.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the freezers are on wheels and are moved between several locations throughout the year. So Pairing and un-pairing will be essential unless I can arrange the Huzzahā€™s to broadcast freezer data to a cloud and have a server monitor the freezers? All possible locations wonā€™t have available WiFi so I will have the have portable WiFi/3G base stations to help the Huzzahā€™s broadcast freezer data when they are in transport on a truck etc.

Thanks for your reply and suggested products. I really appreciate it
Guy

1 Like