Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Showing Blank Screen

So I bought the Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB) and I received it yesterday. I have had troubles getting an image. It appears to boot up but the screen is blank. I managed to get an image a couple of times, I ran the initial setup and while it was updating I switched the TV back to my windows pc HDMI and when I switched back to the Pi’s HDMI screen I had the “no signal” screen that my TV gives when nothing is being used on the HDMI source. I researched on the net to see if this was a common issue and the only thing I could really find was about testing the eeprom by removing everything and turning the Pi on and checking the pattern of the ACT LEDs which I did and got the standard for blinking pattern which told me the eeprom is not corrupt. The HDMI cable is plugged into the 0 port as I’ve been instructed but from what I can tell it seems like an HDMI issue as even though there is no screen the lights still blink as it is running. Please help. Cheers

What power supply are you using the pi needs a good supply of current approximately 3amps at 5volts DC

You can also try re-flashing your pi’s mirco-sd card following this guide:

I’m using the power supply that came with the kit which is the official raspberry pi power supply (white)

Did you try and re-flashing the mirco-sd card?

Several times, I tried different SD Cards, I tried different versions of Buster ie. Full version, desktop version and lite version. I’ve made sure the hdmi cable is in HDMI 0 but have also tried hdmi 1. I believe this is a fault with the pi itself. I have a pi 3b and it boots up fine using the same power supply and same SD card

Just confirming that you have the HDMI cable connected to HDMI-0 before applying power ?

Yes I have. There isn’t much I haven’t tried

I managed to get an image a couple of times

This makes me think that it is not a Raspberry Pi issue, but rather a resolution issue.

Have you tried connecting the Raspberry Pi to another display?

Have you tried changing the HDMI port used on the display?

Have you restarted the Pi whilst it is connected to the display? (So it can negotiate at boot time with the display for a resolution).

Can you see the Raspberry Pi when it is connected to your network via Ethernet?

So I connected it into the main TV and it works, but how do I get it working on my other TV?

What you can try is changing the resolution of the pi to match the resolution of your other television and ensure that you have selected the hdmi input on your tv prior to attempting to boot the pi

OK so after making a few adjustments to the config.txt file I was able to get it working on this display., but was presented with a couple of other issues like wireless mouse and keyboard stopped working after and update. Then I got 2 massive black bars on either side of the screen and nothing I did would remove them. Consequently I reflashed the SD card and adjusted the config file again and now I’m finally getting the rainbow screen and the 4 raspberries at the top and the it goes to the “no signal” screen. So the settings I have changed are as follows:

Uncommented - hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Uncommented and edited - hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
Uncommented and edited - config_hdmi_boost=8

These are the only settings I’ve touched

Have you perchance tried your applied settings on your other tv?

Yes i have and it works perfectly. Ive narrowed it down to an hdmi issue just with this tv

I have encountered things like this before but mostly with small 5" tft Hdmi screens the problem might be with your monitors eeid

This tutorial / blog goes into more details
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

I have no “edid” code in my config.txt file. I need more direction as all those settings don’t make much sense to me

The steps I’d (Marcus) would do next:

1. Determine the resolution requirements of the target TV
  2. Connect the Pi to the TV that works out of the box.
  3. Open the Raspberry Pi Configuration Software, and set the resolution.

1. Chances are you’ll have a resolution of at least 720p on the TV, set the resolution to ~1280 x 720 pixels.
  2. Shutdown the Raspberry Pi
  3. Power Up the Raspberry Pi (without being connected to a display).
  4. Connect the display.

I don’t have a “Set resolution” button in raspberry pi coniguration

The screen preferences have now been moved into their own app called “Screen Configuration”.