Using an Analog Distance Sensor to sense basketballs going through a hoop

My eldest child loves the basketball game you can find in some amusement centres which scores automatically as you toss a basketball through a hoop.

I thought we could build one with an Arduino hooked up to an analog distance sensor and a 7 segment display for the score.

Does anyone have experience with these? I was looking at this one: http://littlebirdelectronics.com.au/products/sharp-gp2y0a41sk0f-analog-distance-sensor-4-30cm

Would it be good enough to sense a ball dropping in front of it? Would it get false readings if the basketball ring had a net?

Thanks

I have a couple of these sharp sensors, they are good but pretty dependent on what environment they are used in. I think it should be fine for something like this. If you were able to mount it securely to the hoop so that it was only seeing the hoop you should get a pretty stable reading out of it.
If you had some IR diodes you could probably even roll your own photo interrupter similar to what you see in the shops when you walk in and get the chime sounds.

Ah that sounds like a great idea. I’ll look into that. Thanks.

1 Like